1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Raquel Robertson. I am born in Dallas, TX. Raised in Denver, CO and currently living in New Orleans, LA.
2. What is your hair type?
I have a few different hair types. Wavy in the front which is 3b and back is more 3c.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural about 3-4 years ago. My transition started when I saw a photo of this ladies hair that was so full and curly. In my mind I thought, "yessss, I want my hair like that." I also had a friend that used a lot of natural products on her hair and she introduced me to how she washed her hair and I loved it.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging about going natural was having patience while transitioning. Mainly because I wanted my curls to look a certain way.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
MY weekly regimen consist of washing my hair at the beginning of the week then wear a style for the whole week. Through out the week I moisturize my hair by spritzing it with water and apply moisturizer and sealant if I need it.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
In the morning I usually just style my hair for the day.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
At night I spritz and moisturize then I wrap it up for then night using a satin scarf or bonnet.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I use heat on my hair occasionally. Once of twice a year I straighten my hair. During this time it’s not a lot of heat just enough to straighten it.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I do braid my hair. I do braid-outs or sometimes I will do a braid style using extra hair. I don’t have any set times.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I use both a denman brush and a wide tooth comb. I use a wide tooth comb more often. I often detangle with it on wash day.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Since I am trying to grow my hair I like wearing protective styles.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I have had a hair tragedy. When I first went natural I was living in Colorado which has dry air. I was very familiar with what my hair needed. Then I moved to New Orleans and man! I had no idea what I was expecting. After I moved my hair was completely different because of the humidity. I struggled with months to keep my hair moisturized and nothing worked. My hair was always dry no matter what I did. After a while of living in New Orleans I found a new regimen that worked with humidity.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
I know a lot of people say this but keeping your end moisturized will help with maintaining length and that will keep your hair long. Moisturizing your hair will keep your hair healthy.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.