1. What's your name and where are you from?
Sharon from Queens, New York currently residing in Pennsylvania
2. What is your hair type?
For those who follow the type method I’m a type 4 a/b. For those who don’t, my hair is very tightly coiled without a defined curl pattern and grows up and out instead of down and that’s my favorite thing about it!
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural 12 years ago so that I didn’t have to travel and waste money on relaxers. Then I went natural again once YouTube was available and the resources (especially products) were more readily available.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Learning which products work best for my hair. Time, money, trial and error.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Making sure my scalp is well moisturized and kept healthy by daily massaging it with Shea Butter and Coconut Oil.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Every morning I rejuvenate my hair with some form of steam (shower, tea kettle, humidifier, etc.) and seal in the moisture with Coconut Oil and Shea Butter.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
It depends on how my hair feels. If it feels dry or my scalp feels dry I massage it again with Shea Butter, if not I just go to bed on my satin pillow case or satin scarf wrapped around my pillow.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Absolutely! But only once a month. I blow it out to stretch out my hair.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I only braid the back of my hair sometimes at night to give my hair a rest.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
A brush wouldn’t work on my hair! I prefer a wide-tooth comb but my favorite tool would be my hands!
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I usually keep it all out or keep the front out and pinned up in the back. Protective styles tend to prevent you from knowing and learning your hair so I avoid them as much as possible and find more creative ways to protect my hair. One of the main ways is wrapping it in a scarf or head wrap.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Of course! When I was 15 a hairdresser convinced me to get my ends “clipped” and she took off about 3 or 4 inches!! I don’t think I’ve ever recovered from that incident! It was unforgettable and helped me learn how to take care of my own hair so that would NEVER happen again and it hasn’t!!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Keep your body healthy and use proper products. Everyone’s hair is different and once you find a regimen that suits YOUR hair, stick with that! Learn what your hair loves and feed and nurture it. Then it will love you back!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.