1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Sheila Ndinda from Nairobi, Kenya
2. What is your hair type?
My hair is 4c well I like to think it’s between 4c and 4b
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural in September 2013 because I got tired of relaxing my hair. I was not pleased with how my hair looked. It was unhealthy, breaking a lot, thinning and I was only surviving on extensions, weaves and braids which became very boring.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Having to spend a lot of timing researching how to care for my hair and learning what products work best.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I co-wash, deep condition, Use the LOC method to moisturize my hair. If my hair is in a protective style I cleanse my scalp once a week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
This depends on the style I’m wearing.
If my hair is out, I lightly spritz it and seal the moisture using a light oil, fluff the roots using an afro comb and add an accessory to glam it up.
If I two-strand twisted my hair the night before I’ll unravel the twists with a bit of coconut oil or olive oil on my fingertips and fluff my roots for a desired shape.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I massage my scalp and edges using Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
If my hair feels dry, I will lightly spritz it (My spray bottle has aloe vera juice+glycerine+water) and seal using cream or oil then style as desired i.e. chunky twists ,two strand twists, perm rod set
If I am feeling lazy, I just band my hair to keep it stretched overnight and tie my satin scarf.
If I have a PS, I will spritz my roots using a mix of water+tresseme naturals conditioner+ JBCO in my spray bottle
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
No, I don’t use heat on my hair
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I love box braids, Senegalese twists and cornrows. I try and do a PS at least once every 3 months.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide-tooth comb but I’m a very huge fan of finger detangling
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I alternate between both of them. I love wearing my hair in faux buns, Cornrows and Box braids
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
My ends were thinning and breaking a lot towards the end of last year which made me very frustrated. I decided to add lots of protein treatments to my regimen which eventually strengthened my strands and I experienced less breakage. I also trimmed off about 3 inches of my hair.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Less manipulation, Moisture and Patience is Key!!!!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.