1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Shivon Carolina and I'm from New York.
2. What is your hair type?
I believe I am 4a with some 3c.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I had my last relaxer in October 2011, transitioned for a year and then big chopped in October 2012. Honestly it started with me being curious and sort of following the crowd but ultimately turned into a somewhat spiritual journey and learning to accept myself as is (still working on that).
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing was the short-hair phase and not feeling as pretty or as feminine and accepting my hair with all its kinks as is.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I mainly do wash-n-goes. I will do a wash-n-go once per 1-1 1/2 weeks. I try to deep condition weekly. Every now and then I'll do the occasional ponytail/puff, braid-out or perm rod set.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Take off satin cap, spritz hair with a mixture of mostly water and a little leave-in conditioner and some type of oil (lavender, grapeseed, Argan, almond, etc.) then smooth edges with gel and let air dry.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Throw on satin cap and go to sleep. Or if a manipulated style - spritz hair with water and either re-braid or re-roll (yes I re-braid or re-roll every night lol).
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Very seldom, if I'm in a serious rush and I did a wash-n-go and my hair didn't fully dry, I'll diffuse on low heat or cool for a few minutes. Other than that - no. So far, it seems I straighten my hair (flat iron), twice per year.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
If I'm wearing a braid-out yes - in several plats for as long as I'm rocking it. I never wear braids as a style though...
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Ummm yes, perming my hair was a tragedy. I recovered by going back to natural (ha,ha). No really, in high school my hair was natural but I always wore it "pressed". I would either get it done professionally or do it myself. I had become what I thought was a "pro" until that one time when I was distracted and didn't test the hot comb on paper towel and put it directly in my hair...needless to say - comb was too hot and I burnt my hair off. I had short pieces, probably like 1/2 inch or shorter just sticking up and it was in the top middle area of my head. I had to try to comb my hair over it for a while but the short pieces would stick up through it. Once it got long enough I would do a little curl, just a slight bend to the pieces so that it could lay and blend with the rest of my hair, it eventually grew back lol.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Low manipulation, little to no heat, TLC and just simplicity...
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.