1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Soraja and I'm from The Netherlands.
2. What is your hair type?
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
My oldest daughter inspired me to set an example. From the age of 2 my daughter was telling me she wanted hair just like her mommy (relaxed hair) it broke my heart seeing that I was continuing the cycle. I kept telling her that her hair was beautiful. That she in fact had my hair. That my 'real' hair looked like hers. She didn't get it (I didn't either).
So when she was 5 I told her I was going to grow my hair out and show her that she has hair like her mommy and that it was beautiful just the way it is. And to be honest, that's when she started to love hers. She no longer longs for straight hair. Everytime I try and use the blow dryer she'll ask me: 'your not going to straighten it right?! Good cuz I don't want my hair to get damaged!' I love my hair just the way it is.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Getting used to short natural hair and finding hairstyles that suited me.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I shampoo, deepcondition, detangle and moisturize weekly.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Fluff my hair into shape. lol takes me 5 minutes to do my hair on a daily basis.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I always tie my hair with a satin scarf before bedtime. thats it. i don't retwist or restyle my hair. low manipulation is key.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I do. mostly indirect heat like a hooded dryer to dry my hair after styling. I sometimes use direct heat when I do a blowout but I always use is on cold/medium setting. Heatdamage is real!
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I braid my hair 3 times a year. mostly in the winter time and summer time, when I go on vacation.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Detangling brush. lol I swear by it. it doesn't snag and reduces breakage to a minimum.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Loose most of the times. I love wash n go's and twist outs. they're my favorite hairstyles.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
No I didn't. I do everything to prevent that, like not flat ironing my hair EVER, no coloring and no tight hairstyles that can damage my edges.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
LOW MANIPULATION is key. you don't need pills, expensive products etc. I manipulate my hair once a week and thats my biggest secret to my rapid hair growth and health. The more often you manipulate your hair (detangle, straighten, style etc.) the more breakage you create, the less length you retain. Want to see growth? Stop manipulating your hair.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.