1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Staci Tyson and I am from Kansas City, MO
2. What is your hair type?
My hair falls between 4B and 4C
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I big-chopped on 13 April 2011. My first born daughter inspired me to go natural. At that time she was almost 2yrs old. I decided if I wanted her to embrace her beautiful texture, then I must lead by example so I went in the bathroom and cut all my relaxed hair off!
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Learning to manage my new texture and gaining the understanding that my natural texture was completely different than my relaxed hair. I was on YouTube faithfully looking for natural beauties that had similar textures as mines.I quickly became a product junkie, searching for products that worked best for my hair.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I really don’t have a solid weekly regimen other than making sure my hair is moisturize at all times. However, I do co-wash my hair bi-weekly and I deep condition monthly!
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I start off by moisturizing my hair with water and oil ( evoo, coconut oil or Carol’s daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir), I then fluff, take down twist, and or pin up my hair. It really depends on the style I am rocking!
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I always moisturize my hair before bed. I use a hair lotion or one of my favorite oils and a spritz of water. I try not to ever go to bed with my hair completely out, that's just asking for a detangling fight. I twist my hair into about ten twist or I will bun it up, ensuring my ends are covered then I finish off with a satin bonnet.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes, I straighten my hair once a year to check my length and the condition of my ends. If needed I take this opportunity to trim my ends.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
Yes I braid my hair, maybe a couple of times a year. I really like Box-braids and Marley twists.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Ummm I’m going say 50/50 I love to wear my hair out but I am a sucker for protective styles too. ex: Goddess twist/braids, buns, mini twist, and pin ups!
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I haven’t had any hair tragedies with my natural hair so far. Thank God!! But I’ve had a gang of mishaps with my relaxed hair! Going natural is definitely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for myself!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip is to love your hair and embrace every stage! If you take the time to put love in your hair, it will grow. Be patience and enjoy the journey. Remember to hydrate your kinks and curls. The process is very similar to taking care of a plant! LOL :)
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.