1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Trenika, and I am from Tampa, Florida
2. What is your hair type?
I haven't really gotten into hair typing but I would say I have a bit of 3c, 4a and 4b.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
My last part was in September of 2009; I transitioned for 9 months and then in June of 2010 I big chopped. I went natural because I always had adverse reactions to perms and it just progressively got worse as I get older. I decided I was not going to subject myself or my scalp to that anymore plus I really wanted that big, luscious, eye catching hair.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The biggest challenge for me was during transitioning, having to deal with two different hair textures.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My weekly regimen consists of shampoo and conditioning on the weekend then doing a protective style for the upcoming week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
My morning routine usually consists of simply removing my satin bonnet. Since I typically have my hair in a protective style during the week that's about all I have to do. If my hair is looking a little dry I might spritz it with water or rub some oil on it, but other than that I try to keep it really simple.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Sadly, I have to admit I don't have a night time regimen. If my hair isn't in a protective style all I normally do is simply put on a satin bonnet and I sleep on a satin pillowcase, but I don't set my hair nightly.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I do use heat. On average I will straighten my hair about 2 or 3 times a year and I may do a blow out once or twice in addition to straightening.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I don't braid my hair.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I have both but I do find myself using the Denman more often.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Normally I have a protective-do. I have to tame the mane! I have so much hair I just can't get up every morning and try to style daily.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I have had more than one hair tragedy the most recent being postpartum hair loss in 2012. The majority of the loss was around the edges, they went clean bald! I have a video on my YouTube channel where you can see the damage. I am actually worried now that history might repeat itself as I have a new one month old baby.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip would have to be, learn your hair. Everyone's hair is different, some people can use heat more often some people don't necessarily have to do protective styling to maintain length. So, if you figure out what your hair really likes and what makes your hair thrive you'll be able to do exactly what you need to do to maintain and grow long healthy hair.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
I can be found on...
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.