1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Trophie Douglas and I am from Houston, Texas.
2. What is your hair type?
I am a strong 4c lol! I have really thick kinky hair.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I began my transition in November 2011 and I big chopped May 5, 2012. I went natural because I was tired of my hair not growing. It was at a stand still and it was very thin and brittle. I started watching youtube videos and saw all these natural women with beautiful healthy hair. It just made more sense and I'm so happy that I made that decision.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The awkward twa stage. I'm used to having long hair and I just didn't feel comfortable after my bc. Ofcourse I got used to it but in the beginning I was in a state of shock. Also dealing with shrinkage. When I went natural I knew nothing about shrinkage so I was totally taken by surprise. Ive learned to embrace my shrinkage and use different methods to stretch my hair.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I wash, condition, and deep condition my hair once a week. Usually I do a twist out style and wear it loose for about two days. I re twist and wear it loose a couple more days and just wear a puff for the rest of the week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I usually take my hair out of the pineapple and fluff.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I pineapple my hair at night. I just push all of my hair to the top of my head and wrap a scarf around it. Also I sleep of a satin pillow case just incase my scarf comes off. I'm a wild sleeper!
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes, but in moderation. I get my hair professionally straightened about 3 times a year. Every now and then I will stretch my hair with a blow dryer on medium heat. Ive had heat damage before so i'm very cautious about using heat on my hair.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
Yes, I get box braids about 3 times a year. It is a great protective style.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I use a wide tooth detangling comb and it is a lifesaver!
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Loose, I usually have it in a twist out or a puff.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes. I got my hair colored a couple years ago and it was the worst decision ever! The color was beautiful but it was very drying on my hair. It caused my hair to break off and really stunted my growth. It was a true learning experience.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Just make a routine and stick to it. My wash day routine is very simple so its easy for me to maintain. I use the LOC method when I first style my hair so that I don't have to moisturize it daily. I deep condition every week. (VERY IMPORTANT) I use little heat and I don't manipulate my hair much.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.