1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Yaniris Acevedo, and I am a native of the Dominican Republic raised in New York City (Harlem), United States.
2. What is your hair type?
I don't use the hair typing system. I refer to my hair as thick, tightly curled, and kinky curly.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I don't have an exact date as to when I began my natural hair Journey, but I do remember it was November 2013. I decided to go natural for a couple of reasons, one I no longer wanted to be bound to relaxers, and two my natural hair is part of my identity, and reminds me of where I originated from.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing was managing both textures, which is why I decided to do the big chop after five months of transitioning.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My weekly regimen consists of wash and go's it all depends in the mood or occasion. I may sometimes twist my hair or put my hair in a bun. I use sulfate free shampoos, and deep condition on a weekly basis.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I don't really have a morning regimen. I just wake up, shake my hair and voila it shapes itself again. I sometimes use Oyin hair moisturizer to revive my hair when it's out of shape.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I use a satin pillow or bonnet, and sometimes I may just put it in a pineapple.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I only use heat when I deep condition my hair, other than that I don't use blow dryers or flat irons at all.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
No, I do not braid my hair. I did once,and have never braid it again since.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I use both the Denman and wide tooth comb. The wide tooth comb I use to detangle my hair,and the Denman to define my curls.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is normally loose, I just feel comfortable that way.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I have not yet experienced a hair tragedy, and hope I never experience one.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip is to deep condition on a weekly basis, and keep your hair moisturized.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.